The first thing I did when I got my 3G line is enter the speedtest.net application and test the speed of the connection. After those initial test whenever I accessed the app on 3G or even edge it showed me a “Network communication issues” error.
Testing WiFi speeds still worked properly but I couldn’t test 3G speeds in any region. I think alfa might be blocking the testing but I am not sure about it. The good news is that yesterday I finally managed to bypass the block by:
- Connecting and finding a server to test on while on WiFi
- Getting far enough from the router so that the mobile looses the WiFi signal (exiting the app to turn off WiFi kept resetting it)
- Testing the connection on 3G.
The speeds I got from those test were pretty descent, I got speeds between 2 and 3 MB but with high latencies (>200ms).
So for now the 3G speeds are good, let’s just hope they manage to maintain a fast service when it is finally properly launched!